Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Health Care in Real Life

Health care is talked about quite a bit in the news and on this blog and for very good reason. It has such an impact on our daily lives. So much of what has been proposed is not reform though they wish to call it such, but creation of a new system and it has to be done now, now, now, even though it will not go into affect until after the next election. (By the way, Mr. President, sir, the American public isn't that stupid. We still will remember that you're the one who forced this all.) Our system may not be perfect, in fact, it is far from it, but it is still a good system. Things simply need to tweaked and corrected.

For example, opening up competition across state lines would help reduce prices. Right now, there is little competition within each state which drives up prices. Another thing would be to remove pre-existing conditions as from the list of what could deny coverage. Many pre-existing conditions have little effect on everyday life but will gain a denial of coverage.

I am a prime example of this.

I have worked full time hours
going on 4 years for a public university but my job is classified as a temporary position. With this position, I do not get paid sick leave, nor paid vacation, nor paid holidays, nor life insurance, nor health insurance. I have to find and pay out of pocket for my health insurance. For the past 3 years, I have carried an individual policy from Aetna that was decent in coverage and deductible. This year they raised my premium by $61 a month which priced it out of what I can afford.

I applied for a plan with Cigna that had a monthly premium (and coverage) equal to what I was paying before the latest rate increase. Their underwriters told me that because of my pre-existing condition (mitral valve prolapse) and the drug I take (Toprol XL) my quote had increased my $100 a month. Obviously, this defeated the purpose in applying.

Next, I applied for a plan through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida. The deductible was higher but the rate was about $50 lower than the Cigna plan. BCBS of FL denied me flat out because of my pre-existing condition. I asked when I got the call.

Right now, I'm in the process of applying for a plan through Humana that has a high deductible but covers preventative care (annual exams, pap smears, etc) 100%. It's cost is $175 lower a month that what I am currently paying. This is not ideal but my doctor's visits are generally limited to annual physicals with my general practicitioner, cardiologist, and gynecologist anyway. It takes serious injury or illness to go to the doctor other than that. Sinus infections, colds or the flu I can handle on my own.

My options, not only on what I can afford, but on what companies operate in Florida are very limited. If I cannot get insurance through Humana, I have one company left to try.

This is something that could be handled by Congress. Work out the small things that have a major effect on the average person. Set aside the discussion on a public option. Increase competition nationwide in the private industry. Work out the difficulties for people with pre-existing conditions. Fix the rampant fraud in Medicare and Medicaid. It is amazing how much money the simple fixes could save.

Signed,
The Daughter of the Electorate

No comments:

Post a Comment